Saturday, February 7, 2009

MOM, HOW DO I MAKE A POT ROAST?

Oh, I can't tell you what sweet music it was to my ears when one of my daughters asked for advice. Yeah, I pretty much fall all over myself when they do.

This is the same daughter that called me from college and asked, "Mom, how do I fry an egg?"

Well, don't get me wrong on this, you have to know her. She is a great cook now but it was never an interest while she lived at home. She usually had her nose in a book. She can now make a Kolachy that puts any baker to shame. For some reason she just didn't want to learn to cook. Oh, I tried...at least the youngest daughter wanted to learn all the ethnic foods from her German/Norwegian background and thanks to Daddy, Czechoslovakian background. She even knows how to make Lefsa and just about everything in between, but my older one...well, she had to learn on her own time.

Well, her time has come! ON TO THE POT ROAST!

First of all, wash that roast. I don't know how many of you take a roast out of a package and plop it into a pan...but coming from a farm and watching how butchering is done...believe me...wash that roast! Wash pork chops, chicken, turkey, whatever meat you use. I haven't figured out how to wash hamburger yet, but if I ever do...I will let you know!

OK...Roast is clean.........Spray that pan! The greatest invention of the last century was Pam cooking spray and all the other cheaper brands that work just the same.

OK..pan is sprayed......now plop that roast in the pan.

Fill the pan up with water until about to the top of the roast but not over it. You don't want to boil it! Maybe a half inch below top of roast.

OK...now pour a packet of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix over the top of the roast. For you newbies, that is a dry mix that is in a box, by the soups in the grocery store. This is all the spices you will need. Do Not Add salt and pepper!!

OK...cover it, if you don't have a cover, use foil then throw it in the oven and cook at 350 degrees. I don't preheat my oven when I am cooking meat or a hotdish...that is a waste of energy...just do that for cakes and breads. Just throw it in there and start the oven.

I can't really say how long to cook it because it will depend on how big of a roast you have. I would say a 2 pound roast would be about 2 hours BUT....a 4 pound roast will not be 4 hours!!! No way!....let's just say about after the initial 2 hours, start adding 20 minutes per pound. Oh, just wing it on the first time around...you will get used to it. Believe me...you will make this roast over and over again.

OK...About an hour before the roast is done, add carrots, potatoes and onions. Well, I would add more onions because we like onions. I never fry a pound of hamburger without putting in a whole onion. It does not matter what I am making...you need an onion! AND...Please, don't just peel that onion and put it in there...wash the darn thing! You don't know where it's been! Same with any of the other vegetables, wash, peel, wash. OK...by now you know I am a fanatic when it comes to food preparation. Again, growing up on a farm...I know what we used for fertilizer and it was not pretty and you do not put it in your mouth! Wash it all! AND that goes for anything else you buy. I use soap and water to wash melons before I cut them otherwise you are embedding possible feces into your melon. You do not want to feed feces to anyone!

WOW...I got off topic....Here are some more recipes.

Pork Roast....see all the above BUT uses Lipton's Garlic and Herb Soup Mix. Similar baking time.

Baked Chicken....see all above BUT use Lipton's Garlic and Herb Soup Mix.
Bake at 325 Degrees for about 1 1/2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment